Currently, we provide ongoing support to organizations that are carefully selected to ensure that midwives and mothers will truly benefit from our financial support. Currently, we support organizations that Jewel has volunteered with and can attest to the high quality healthcare that they provide. When travel resumes, we will look for more opportunities to directly impact midwives and the women they care for.
We proudly support the Carrie Wortham Birth Center in rural Haiti, a project of Midwives for Haiti. The birth center was strategically located several hours from any paved roads or medical facilities. Midwives are available 24 hours a day to greet and care for women who may have walked or been carried several hours to receive medical attention. Read more about them at midwivesforhaiti.org.
We are happy to support the Maternal and Child Health fund of Medical Teams International. Medical Teams was selected by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) to provide healthcare in refugee camps in Uganda. Their midwives ensure safe delivery in remote health centers and arrange for transfer of care when necessary. Learn more about their work at medicalteams.org.
We are thrilled to support HOPE Foundation for Women and Children of Bangladesh and their multiple strategies to increase midwifery care and improve women's health in Bangladesh. These include a midwifery school, rural birth centers, and two hospitals. Both Bangladeshi and Rohingya women benefit greatly from their programs. For more information please visit hopeforbangladesh.org.
We are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2021 Midwife Support Grant:
- Melissa Fleming, CNM, to purchase supplies for cervical cancer screening training, birth kits, and a documentation system at Kwinella Health Center, Gambia.
- Vicki Penwell, CPM, of Mercy in Action, for medical and office equipment for a new birth center on Samar Island, Philippines.
- Martine Jean-Baptiste, CNM, of the Foundation for Advancement of Haitian Midwives, to provide urgently needed personal protective equipment (PPE) for midwives in Haiti.
- Tania Molina of MIPARTO, organization of traditional midwives of El Salvador, to increase visibility of traditional midwives by creating banners for their workplaces, and to provide transportation and food for their national council meeting.
- Nancy Comello, CNM, of Supporting Safe Birth, to purchase protective washable cloth aprons and masks, for indigenous midwives of Guatemala.
- Kiwoko Hospital, Uganda, to purchase fetal dopplers for use in isolation rooms in the maternity ward, due to recent increase in Covid cases.
Congratulations to all and thank you for your service to midwives and mothers!
We are pleased to support Global Health Media with a one-time donation. This organization produces high quality instructional videos in multiple languages and makes them available online for free! This is a wonderful resource for midwives, students, and educators! Check out their videos at this website: globalhealthmedia.com